SharePoint Server is a server platform for information sharing, collaboration, and content management. Its services can be accessed only by appropriately licensed internal users.
This product includes a server license. Each user or device that accesses SharePoint Server must have a Standard client access license (CAL). Additive Enterprise CALs are required to access certain features. See a summary of Volume Licensing Product Use Rights for specific licensing details.
Benefits for Organisations
If you have system administration experience, you can use SharePoint Server to:
- Create an intranet portal for your organisation to share information
- Manage and edit documents among multiple users and offices
- Develop a public-facing website
- Collaboration: You can create content from their preferred web browser or from desktop applications such as Microsoft Word. Automated versioning and workflows, document check-out, and sophisticated access controls help teams work on shared documents with minimal confusion and misunderstanding.
- Enterprise Content Management: Users within your organisation can manage their content on a single unified platform for the entire content life cycle — from creation through editing, collaboration, and approval, to long-term retention or final expiration. SharePoint can also help implement and automate compliance with information management and data security policies.
- Enterprise Search: The search infrastructure combines federated search, relevance, refinement, and social cues to speed up search and help people find the information and contacts they need.
- Portals: You can build and maintain multiple content portals on a single SharePoint installation, with each portal customized for a particular business activity or organisational stakeholder. For example, you can build an enterprise intranet portal for all employees and a divisional portal site for particular departments.
SharePoint Server Foundation
SharePoint Foundation is a collaboration platform and foundation for building web applications. It is available free of charge from Microsoft. All of the features in SharePoint Foundation are also available in SharePoint Server.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires installation media and a license key. The license key allows you to use the installation media to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, Charity Digital Exchange will send a message to your organisation email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested. Make sure the organisation email that is registered with the Charity Digital Exchange Programme is up-to-date. Visit My Account and verify the address in your active organisation profile.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organisation to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- Charity Digital Exchange will send an email with information about managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance programme, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.